To the disappointment of many chocolate fans and sweet tooths, Bounty bars are not vegan – but that doesn’t mean you can’t make your own. This plant-based, gluten-free recipe creates a delicious (and nostalgic) snack or dessert. Here, coconut and dairy-free chocolate are the stars of the show.
This seven-ingredient recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare, plus a one-hour resting period. It can be adapted to suit your personal taste preferences (see the notes below the recipe), and can be frozen for later.
- 1 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (100g)
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt * (100g)
- 1/3 cup powdered Erythritol or Xylitol * (60g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate of choice (90g)
- First, combine the shredded coconut, Erythritol (or powdered sugar), and salt in a food processor and blend for a few seconds to combine everything well. Then add the yogurt and vanilla and blend again, scraping down the sides as needed, until a dough forms. If the mixture is too wet, add more coconut. If it’s too dry, add more yogurt.
- Working with heaped tablespoons of the mixture, use your hands to form small, slightly rounder bars. Repeat this until no coconut dough is left, then transfer them to a plate or parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Allow the bars to freeze for about 45 minutes, or until firm.
- When they’re firm, prepare the chocolate coating. Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler or microwave (in 10-15 second increments, stirring between) in a bowl.
- Dip each of the bars in the chocolate, allowing excess to drip off, then freeze the bars once more for 15 minutes or until solid. If needed, you can double-dip the bars.
- At this point, your coconut chocolate bars are ready! Enjoy them immediately and/or store them for later.