- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 white onion – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – crushed
- A thumb piece of ginger – grated
- A small piece of fresh turmeric – grated
- 1 tsp of curry powder
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 jazz apple – grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 cup of red split lentils – rinsed
- 1 can of coconut milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Add the coconut oil to a large pan and place on medium heat. Once hot, add in the curry powder, cumin & cayenne pepper. Cook for a few minutes, making sure to keep stirring to prevent from burning.
- Add in the chopped onion and cook for 5-6 minutes until the onion start to caramelize.
- Add in the grated ginger, turmeric and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add in the grated apple, lentils and stir to coat. Stir in the coconut milk and 2 cups of water and bring it to boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft and you have a creamy consistency.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and top with coconut yogurt, chopped coriander and some chili flakes.