Looking for a vegan Easter cookies recipe? Look no further. These crumbly egg-shaped cookies will make a lovely edible gift for loved ones, especially if you are looking for something that isn’t a traditional egg and just happens to be vegan too.
Slightly reminiscent of shortbread, these snack-sized treats pair perfectly with an afternoon cuppa. But best of all, they are super simple to make and are very child friendly. So if you are looking for some Easter baking inspiration for the whole family, look no further.
One bit of advice before you whip up a batch of vegan Easter cookies: find a plant-based chocolate that you really like. Not all are created equal and you don’t want sub-par decorations ruining all your hard baking work. Or, if you’re not so much of a chocolate fan, how about using regular icing and bringing a little color onto the mix too? (Be sure to check your color additives are vegan!)
Also, don’t be afraid to experiment with flavors other than vanilla. If you love the sweetness of almonds, why not substitute the vanilla extract with almond essence instead? You’ll get a tasty marzipan-like vegan Easter cookie that is sure to be a hit too.
On with the baking!
- 300 g plain flour
- 30 g coconut flour
- 75 g caster sugar
- 175 g dairy free butter (very cold)
- 45 ml dairy free milk (very cold)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate
- Mix together the flours & caster sugar
- Add to a bowl vanilla extract, dairy free butter & dairy free milk. Rub together with your fingertips until you get a smooth dough
- Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in cling film & leave to rest in the fridge for an hr
- Pre-heat an oven to 180oc & line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- Remove the dough from the fridge & roll out between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper, to approx. 5mm thick
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out the shapes & place them onto the lined baking sheets. Repeat this process until you have used all the dough
- Place in a preheated oven for 15 – 20 mins (the precise time will depend on your oven) you are looking for cookies that are golden brown in colour
- Once cooked allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack
- Once cold, melt chocolate in a microwave in 30 sec intervals, stirring in between to ensure it does not burn
- Once melted, dip your vegan Easter cookies in the chocolate, or add to a piping bag to add specific chocolate detailing