Layers of lovely smokey Puy lentils with harissa and mushrooms, roast squash topped with a gooey ‘cheesy’ sauce
- 1/2 large squash peeled and sliced lengthwise into thin slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 175 g Mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 to matoes chopped
- 1 tbsp rose Harissa 0r 1 tsp harissa paste
- 2 sun dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 150 g dark green French or puy Lentils rinsed
- 750 ml water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 250 almond milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Big pinch sea salt
- Twist black pepper
For the roast veg:
- Pre heat your oven to 180c
- Place squash on a baking tray and coat in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45- 60 minutes or until cooked. Keep your eye on them as they will cook at varying times.
- Set aside
To make the lentils:
- Add your oil and onion to a wide bottom pan and fry gently on a low heat for around 10 minutes until soft and browning. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds more then add the paprika.
- Next add the sundried tomatoes, tomatoes, Worcester sauce, mushrooms, tamari & harrisa – stir to combine and allow everything to soften.
- Now add the lentils and water. Bring to the boil then cook on a low heat for 40 minutes.
- Season with black pepper & salt to the pan and simmer for a further minute.
- Turn off the heat and stir the fresh thyme & olive oil.
To make the Cheesy BÃ©chamel sauce:
- Add the butter to a frying pan and melt on a low heat then add the flour. Stir to combine well.
- Next add the almond milk, and nutritional yeast. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure no lumps form. Now season well and remove from the heat.
To make the bake:
- Layer the lentils, then the squash, more lentils then top with the cheese sauce.
- Bake for 25 minutes on 180c.
- Remove from the oven and if desired, pop under the grill to brown the top a little.