- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1.5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Use a tea towel or kitchen paper to pat dry the chickpeas. The dryer they are the better they will crisp up. Remove any loose chickpea skins.
- Toss in oil, salt and pepper and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Toss half way.
- Make the smoky seasoning by mixing the smoked paprika, garlic, herbs, soy sauce, maple syrup and liquid smoke in a small bowl.
- The chickpeas should be golden and crispy and some splitting. Toss in the smoky paste and pop back in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, they will crisp up as they dry.
- Best serve same day but will keep for a few days lightly covered in a cool place. Don't keep in the fridge or they will soften.