Inspired by Thai Street Food. The combination of aubergine, lemongrass, tamarind, coconut milk, sugar and spices is incredible.
- 3 aubergine cut into 6 slices
- sesame oil for frying
- 5 shallots diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 stick lemongrass bashed
- 1 tsp tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tins coconut milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 tsp stock powder
- lime juice of 2
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch fennel seeds
- Either fry the aubergine slices on each side until golden with a little oil and salt OR if you prefer pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4, lightly coat the slices in oil and a sprinkle of salt and roast them until golden (around 15 minutes on each side), turning once. Set aside. (Note: we charred ours on a griddle pan first – a few minutes on each side)
- Lightly fry the shallots/onion with the fennel seeds in the sesame oil until soft and golden.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add all the spices, stir and fry for another minute.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind paste, lemongrass, soya sauce, stock powder, syrup/sugar. Bring to the boil and then simmer to reduce for around 20-30 minutes.
- Adjust the flavour to your taste, adding more soya sauce, syrup or lime juice (if necessary).
- Remove the lemongrass before serving. Serve with rice and optional extras.
Optional: serve with Jasmine rice, Thai crackers (Sainsbury’s do a fish-free version… see below), fresh coriander, Thai Basil, lime, unsweetened vegan yoghurt, sweet chilli sauce, toasted cashews. This recipe was republished with permission from Viva’s Vegan Recipe Club. The original recipe can be found here.