- 1/4 cup vegan fish sauce
- 2 tsp wakame flakes crushed
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 4 king oyster mushrooms large
- 3/4 cup soy milk
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp black salt
- black pepper cracked
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 lemon juice and zest
- 2 tbsp oil to shallow fry
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes optional
- parsley, rocket, lemon wedges to serve
- Prepare the marinade. Into a bowl, combine the fish sauce, wakame flakes, lemon and ¼ cup of water.
- Slice the mushrooms into rounds. Take a small apple corer or a round object and cut holes in the mushroom rounds to create calamari ring shapes. I like using a piping tip or cannolo tube.
- Toss the mushrooms in the marinade to coat thoroughly. Allow to marinate while making the aioli.
- Pour the milk into a blender. Add the garlic, salt and black pepper and blend. With the blender running on low, slowly pour in the neutral oil in a steady stream. The sauce will start to thicken.
- Add the lemon juice and zest. This will emulsify and thicken further.
- Drain the mushrooms from the marinade. Heat the olive oil in a frypan. Add the mushrooms and lightly pan-fry for 1-2 minutes, sprinkling in the optional chilli flakes.
- Serve on a bed of rocket and garnish with fresh herbs and lemon wedges. Drizzle over the aioli generously.