- 1 aubergine
Glaze (for one aubergine – double up if necessary)
- 1 tsp red miso
- 1 tsp syrup eg agave or maple etc
- 2 tsp mirin rice wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce use Tamari if GF
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Optional serving suggestions: sweet potato wedges tofu skewers, brown rice or other grains, green salad
- Slice each aubergine into cicular steaks, about 2cm thick. You can also slice them lengthways but make sure they are flat to aid thorough cooking.
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with a little salt, on both sides, then leave to sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix up the glaze until fully combined and set aside. Prepare any optional side dishes now.
- With a sharp knife, make slight criss-cross patterns across each side of the aubergine steaks.
- Brush the glaze generously over both sides of each steak, leaving a little to brush on just before serving.
- Place on a red-hot BBQ or well-oiled griddle for a few minutes per side. Aim to caramelise the steak without burning it. You want the aubergine to soften without being too mushy.
- Once softened and nicely charred, brush the aubergine steaks with the remaining glaze. Add chilli flakes and fresh parsley if desired.