These aubergine steaks are juicy and delicious! Enjoy with an abundance of salads, potato wedges or rice or anything else you fancy… prepare to be the envy of every barbecue!
- 1 aubergine
Glaze (for one aubergine – double up if necessary)
- 1 tsp red miso
- 1 tsp syrup eg agave or maple etc
- 2 tsp mirin rice wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce use Tamari if GF
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Optional serving suggestions: sweet potato wedges tofu skewers, brown rice or other grains, green salad
- Slice each aubergine into cicular steaks, about 2cm thick. You can also slice them lengthways but make sure they are flat to aid thorough cooking.
- Sprinkle the aubergine slices with a little salt, on both sides, then leave to sit while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix up the glaze until fully combined and set aside. Prepare any optional side dishes now.
- With a sharp knife, make slight criss-cross patterns across each side of the aubergine steaks.
- Brush the glaze generously over both sides of each steak, leaving a little to brush on just before serving.
- Place on a red-hot BBQ or well-oiled griddle for a few minutes per side. Aim to caramelise the steak without burning it. You want the aubergine to soften without being too mushy.
- Once softened and nicely charred, brush the aubergine steaks with the remaining glaze. Add chilli flakes and fresh parsley if desired.
This recipe was republished with permission from Viva’s Vegan Recipe Club. Find the original recipe here.