If you're looking for a main course for Christmas, this is it! Beautifully roasted Squash with a gorgeous mushroom filling, topped with toasted pine nuts.
- 4 butternut squashes cut in half
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 red peppers diced
- 250 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 handfuls kale
- 6 sundried tomatoes chopped finely
- 4 tbsp pine nuts toasted
- 4 tbsp sunflower seeds toasted
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce (vegan)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp thyme fresh
- Pre heat your oven to 180c
- Remove the seeds of the squashes and score the flesh diagonally.
- Place the butternut squash on baking trays and rub with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, until tender inside and caramelised on the outside.
- Add the onion and oil to a medium pan and fry gently on a low heat for around 10 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Next add the peppers and mushrooms and cook off 5-6 minutes until soft. Stir in the kale and sundried tomatoes. Turn off the heat when wilted.
- Toast the sunflower seeds and pine nuts in a dry pan until slightly golden.
- Add the sunflower seeds & pine nuts to a mini chopper. Pulse a few times.
- Add the seeds to the pan along with the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- When the squash is cooked load the filling into the cavities, top with fresh thyme and more toasted pine nuts. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
Head to the Rebel Recipe website to get yourself a cookbook!