This vegan pumpkin banana bread with olive oil and spelt flour is my first pumpkin bread recipe – and it is amazing. This autumnal dish is flavorful, easy to make, and uses healthier ingredients. Plus, it can be made in just one bowl.
Though this is a healthier pumpkin bread recipe, it still tastes incredible. I was shocked to see that the top pumpkin bread recipes have 2 cups of sugar; this bread has ¼ of that and is plenty sweet. To keep this bread vegan, I used olive oil instead of butter and left out the egg.
I like to bake with spelt flour because it is a whole grain and has more fiber than all-purpose. It also yields a very similar texture to all-purpose.
- 2 spotty medium sized bananas – mashed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree from a can, not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour can sub all purpose
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Add batter to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a knife or toothpick comes out mostly clean. I have a run-of-the-mill oven and baked mine for 50 minutes on the dot.
- Let loaf cool for at least 30 minutes to set. Cut in and enjoy.