Why not whip up a batch of these for Christmas day? Made with maple syrup instead of refined sugar and a beautifully festive jam filling.
- 1 cup vegan butter softened
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam (or raspberry)
- 4 tsp powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and whip it with a mixer until it’s creamy. Add the maple syrup, salt, and vanilla and mix until all combined. Add the flour and work the dough with your hands until you can shape a ball with your dough. If your dough is sticky, add more flour.
- Divide dough and shape into 2 balls, then flatten each into a disk. I roll the dough between two parchment papers. Roll into 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out the cookies using a cookie cutter, cutting half of them with the plain cutter, and half with the small star or heart shaped cutter. Carefully transfer to a prepared cookie sheets, spacing them ½” apart. Gather up any dough scraps and repeat the process until you run out of dough.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for approximately 15 minutes, until the edges begin to become a little golden. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before spreading the jam.
- Take the regular shaped cookie which will be the bottom and place a 1/2 tsp jam on it. Cover it with cut out cookie like a sandwich. Repeat the process until you are done with all the cookies.
- Dust with the powdered sugar until they look pretty.
Check out this Ebook here featuring recipes from Zuzu!