- 600 g self raising flour
- 14 g dry active yeast
- 75 g caster sugar
- 330 ml plant based milk lukewarm
- 100 g vegan butter melted
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
Chocolate Sauce (Optional)
- 50 ml plant based milk
- 100 g vegan chocolate
- Start by combining the flaxseeds with 4 tbsp water in a small bowl and set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
- Pour the luke-warm dairy-free milk into a large jug and sprinkle over the yeast and sugar. Stir to combine and cover the jug with a tea towel. Place it into a warm place for about 10 minutes or until the yeast has gone frothy.
- In the meantime, sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and combine it with the fine salt. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and flaxseed mixture.
- Create a well in the middle of your flour bowl and add in the butter mix as well as the frothy yeast mixture.
- Combine with a spatula until the dough is thick enough to be handled by hand. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes, then shape into a ball and place it back into a greased bowl, covering with a damp tea towel. Place the bowl in the closed oven and allow for it to rise for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.
- When the time elapses, place the sunflower oil into a deep saucepan of small diameter and carefully heat it over low heat. Once it reaches 220C it’s ready to fry your doughnuts.
- Whilst the oil is heating, prepare your doughnut bite shapes. Create equal round dough balls from your dough and place them onto a lined tray, leaving at least 2 inches between them. Cover again and let them rest until the oil has reached frying temperature.
- Carefully lower the doughnut balls into the hot oil with a ladle, one at a time. They should only need between 20-30 seconds to fry, carefully turn them with the ladle during the frying process and remove them once golden. Place them on a kitchen towel to remove any excess oil.
- Repeat until all dough balls are created.
- Mix the caster sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and coat your doughnuts in the sugar/cinnamon mix.
- To create the chocolate sauce heat the chocolate and milk over a double boiler and stir until thoroughly combined and melted. To serve, either dip your doughnut balls into the chocolate sauce or use a piping bag with a long tip to fill your dough balls with the sauce instead.