Who else absolutely loves blood oranges?! We do! Especially when they look this beautiful on top of a cake!
- 6 blood oranges peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Then, line a cake pan with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice each blood orange into 4 slices and assemble in the bottom of the cake pan, then top with maple syrup, set aside while you prepare your cake batter.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl combine your dry cake ingredients, gluten free baking flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, optional cinnamon and sea salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add your wet ingredients, non-dairy milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Stir until fully combined.
- Then, add your wet ingredients to your dry and stir until fully combined, be careful not to over mix your batter.
- Pour the cake batter gently over the oranges in the cake pan, pour in a circular motion to evenly spread, if you pour batter in just one spot it will cause the oranges to move around.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 1 hour. If you remove from the cake pan too early, the maple syrup won’t have time to firm up and it will spill over.
- Then, turn out your cake onto a cake plate, slice, serve and enjoy!
This recipe was republished with permission from Peel Good Kitchen. Find the original recipe here.