Be the first to know!
Receive all the latest news updates, giveaways discounts, product announcements, and much more.
Double Chocolate Cookies
- 1 tbsp psyllium husks ground in a blender or spice grinder
- 5 tbsp water
- 50 g soft light brown sugar
- 50 g soft dark brown sugar
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract – never essence
- 115 g coconut oil
- 50 g vegan margarine
- 45 g dark cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1/2 tbsp espresso powder
- 4 tbsp soy milk
- 200 g plain white flour
- 70 g rolled oats
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt
- 35 g desiccated coconut
- 200 g dark chocolate chips
- pinch flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper or reusable silicone mats.
- In small bowl, combine the ground psyllium husks with the water and whisk well. Set aside to thicken.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the sugars and vanilla bean paste.
- In a small saucepan, add the coconut oil and vegan margarine. Place over low heat until fully melted. Once melted, whisk in the cocoa powder, coconut milk powder and espresso powder until smooth.
- With the stand mixer on low speed, pour the oil and cocoa powder (etc) mixture over the sugar mixture. Once all the oil mixture is added and incorporated, increase the mixer speed to medium/low and add the soy milk 1 tbsp at a time. The mixture should come together into a smooth, glossy paste. Stop the mixer once you reach this stage.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, rolled oats, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, fine sea salt and desiccated coconut. Whisk well to combine.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined (do not overwork). Stop the mixer and add the chocolate chips. Beat briefly until the chips are fully incorporated.
- Using a cookie scoop, portion out the dough into balls. The size of balls will depend on your scoop but I get between 12 and 16 cookies from this recipe. Arrange the balls of dough on the baking sheets with a good few cm between each ball to allow for some spreading. Top each cookie with a tiny sprinkle of the flaky sea salt and place in the preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes is up, remove the cookies from the oven and carefully transfer the baking parchment/silicone mat to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.