For A “Vegan Egg”
- 60 g chickpea (gram) flour
- ? teaspoon bicarbonate of soda baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 125 ml water
- olive oil for frying
- ¼ courgette zucchini, cut into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon Jamaican jerk spice
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ carrot cut into ribbons
- 1 spring onion scallion, green and all, sliced
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach chopped
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- chilli jam and vegetables or green salad to serve
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cider vinegar and water in a large mixing
bowl and leave to stand.
- Squeeze the courgette of excess liquid and add to the vegan egg mix with the rest of the vegetables.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large frying pan (skillet) and spoon out the fritters four at a time. I then gently press down the fritters with a saucepan lid that is smaller than the pan. Fry for 3–5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture and serve immediately with chilli jam and extra fresh greens or seed sprinkles.