Do you ever get nostalgic when you think of a certain recipe that takes you back to your childhood? If you loved Crunchies growing up, you simply have to try this recipe!
- 170 g caster sugar
- 100 g golden syrup
- 50 ml water
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 160 g vegan friendly chocolate
- Begin by making sure you have all your equipment ready and ingredients measured out, as you will need to work quickly once the honeycomb mixture is ready.
- Use a little bit of sunflower or coconut oil to grease up the silicone moulds, or if you are using a baking dish be sure to line it with some greaseproof paper. Add the water, sugar and golden syrup to your pot and place on a medium heat. Stir using a wooden spoon for a few minutes until all of the sugar has melted.
- At this point stop stirring the mixture, as continuing to do so will cause the sugar to crystalise, Instead turn up the heat to medium-high, and place your candy thermometer into the syrup to monitor the temperature. You want the syrup to get to 149°C, known as the ‘hard crack’ stage of candy making, this will take around 15 minutes, so be patient and keep a very close eye on the pot.
- Once the syrup hits 149°C remove the pot from the heat and immediately add in the bicarbonate of soda. Whisk well to combine the mixture (be very careful not to touch it as it is extremely hot!). Transfer the mixture directly to your silicone moulds and/or baking dish and do not touch them once filled. Allow the honeycomb to set completely for 1-2 hours without moving it.
- Once it is completely set and at room temperature, you can remove the honeycomb from the moulds, or cut it into pieces if you used a baking dish. Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and dip the bars into it, allowing them to set on top of a cooling rack.
- Once set, store the honeycomb bars at room temperature in an airtight container, do not refrigerate!