Be the first to know!
Receive all the latest news updates, giveaways discounts, product announcements, and much more.
Vegan Caramelized Onion Tart (German Zwiebelkuchen)
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp gluten free flour (*see notes)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil softened
- 1/3 tsp sea salt
Onion Tart Filling
- 3 medium large onions peeled and diced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced
- 2 small stalks of leek finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 heaped tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or more/less to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce gluten (free if needed)
- 3/4 cup plant based milk
- 7 oz vegan cheese of choice optional
- Fried onion rings on top optional
- Check the step-by-step pictures and the video above in the blog post.
- Put 2 tbsp ground flax seeds (or ground chia seeds) to a small bowl, add 5 tablespoons of water and mix with a whisk. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- For the pie crust, simply add all ingredients to a bowl and mix with a spatula or your hands until the dough sticks together. You can also use a food processor.
- Press the dough into a greased/oiled 8-inch tart or pie dish and up the sides. Put it into the fridge.
- Mix the chickpea flour, cornstarch, spices, and water or vegetable broth in a bowl with a whisk. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over low/medium heat and add the chopped onion, leek, and bell pepper. Cook the veggies with a lid on for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly caramelized, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic for the last few minutes and preheat the oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit (ca. 200 °C).
- Add the chickpea flour mixture and stir immediately, as it will thicken very quickly. Also, add plant-based milk and soy sauce.
- Let simmer for a few more minutes (the mixture should thicken considerably), then turn off the heat. Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth it evenly.
- You can also add vegan cheese of choice and pan-fried onion rings on top but this step is optional.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until nicely browned. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.