Reading Time: < 1 minute
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 packet instantor rapid (rise yeast)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter I use earth balance *Divided*
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cup cane sugar *Divided*
Apple pie filling
- 4 5 green apples, (4 cups sliced)
- 1/2 cup can sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water
Cinnamon maple cream cheese frosting
- 1 8ounce container vegan cream cheese
- 3 tbsp 100% maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. In a large bowl place the almond milk and 2 Tbsp vegan butter, place in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds or until warm and vegan butter melted, Remove from heat and let cool to be warm (not hot!).Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast but do not stir. Let mixture sit for 10 minutes. Then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
2. Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon as you go. You can then use your hands as it will get difficult to stir because it will become thick! Transfer the dough to a floured surface and kneed for 5 minutes. Place the dough back into your mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
3. Meanwhile slice apples. You can choose to peel the skin off the apples or leave it on like I chose to. to a pan combine sliced apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Cook on medium for 5-7 minutes until apples are soft. Spoon the apple pie filling into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to continue cooling until ready to use.
4. Once the dough has doubled in size, lightly flour a surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 2 Tbsp melted vegan butter. In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup cane sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon and mix. Evenly spread the cinnamon sugar mixture over the buttered dough. Then add the apple pie filling, spreading evenly.
5.Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife cut the dough into 1.5 – 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8×8-inch square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 8 rolls). Brush the top of the rolls with remaining 1 Tbsp vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside and let rise again for 45 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
7. Meanwhile make the cinnamon cream cheese frosting by combining, vegan cream cheese, maple syrup, and cinnamon and whisk until well combined.
8. Once cinnamon rolls are baked, Let cool for 5 minutes, spread the frosting over top and enjoy warm.