- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet potato scrubbed and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 28 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh water
- fresh cilantro washed and torn as garnishment
- 4 6 tortillas
- 8 10 grape tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- hot sauce
- Preheat a large, deep-sided skillet. When hot, add the olive oil. When shimmering, add the onions and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the onions to cook until the are soft and lightly browned. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and sauté until fragrant and the tomato paste has turned a dark red.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes and kidney beans. Stir to coat.
- Add the water and allow to simmer, covered, until the potatoes are soft and able to be pierced with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer, uncovered, until any additional water has cooked off.
- Serve immediately in a bowl or as a burrito with any of the optional ingredients and/or use as the base for vegan nachos, a vegan burrito bowl or vegan quesadillas.