Reading Time: < 1 minute
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet potato scrubbed and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 1 28 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh water
- fresh cilantro washed and torn as garnishment
- 4 6 tortillas
- 8 10 grape tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 3 handfuls baby spinach
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- hot sauce
Preheat a large, deep-sided skillet. When hot, add the olive oil. When shimmering, add the onions and reduce the heat to medium-low. Allow the onions to cook until the are soft and lightly browned. About 8-10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. About 1-2 minutes.
Add the cumin, chili powder and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and sauté until fragrant and the tomato paste has turned a dark red.
Add the diced sweet potatoes and kidney beans. Stir to coat.
Add the water and allow to simmer, covered, until the potatoes are soft and able to be pierced with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Continue to simmer, uncovered, until any additional water has cooked off.
Serve immediately in a bowl or as a burrito with any of the optional ingredients and/or use as the base for vegan nachos, a vegan burrito bowl or vegan quesadillas.