- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water appro 100 110 degrees F
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp table salt
- 2 tbsp baking soda for bathing the pretzels
- 6 cups water for bathing the pretzels
- pinch flaky sea salt for seasoning the pretzels
- 1 cup cashews soaked in hot water for about 1 hour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp light miso paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red onion coursely chopped
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh jalapeno deseeded and roughly chopped
- paprika for garnishment
- scallions sliced for garnishment
- jalapenos deseeded and chopped for garnishment
- grape tomatoes chopped for garnishment
- Prepare the cashews by soaking them 2 cups hot water for about 1 hour. It’s best to do this first while you’re making the pretzels.
- Make the soft pretzel dough by combining the warm water, olive oil, yeast and maple syrup. Leave this mixture aside for about 5 minutes and allow the yeast to proof. It should start to bubble and foam will appear on the water’s surface.
- While the yeast is proofing, combine the flour and salt in a larger bowl.
- When the yeast is proofed, combine the wet and dry ingredients in the larger bowl.
- Mix the dough with a wooden spoon until well combined and then knead until smooth.
- Set the dough aside in a lightly oiled bowl and cover gently with a towel. Allow the dough to rise for approximately 30 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the rest of your ingredients for the vegan cheese sauce. Pre-measure the nutritional yeast, miso paste, tomato paste, brown mustard and lemon juice. Chop the red onion and the jalapeno.
- After the dough has risen, knead it 3-4 more times and roll it out into a log about 2 inches in diameter and 18 inches long. Cut it into equal parts — you should get about 8.
- Prepare your alkaline bath by bringing your 6 cups of water and 2 T. of baking soda to a boil
- Roll each piece into a long 18-inch rope and then fold into a pretzel shape. Drop each pretzel into the alkaline bath for approx. 30 seconds and then place on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the pretzels at 400 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, but keep an eye on them as they bake. Take them out when they’re golden brown.
- While the pretzels are baking, rinse and drain the soaked cashews and combine them with the rest of the ingredients in your blender. Blend until creamy. Best served immediately.