What a combination of wonderful flavors! Just imagine waking up to the smell of this beautiful Babka.
- 350 g 00 flour plus extra for dusting
- 50 g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 7 g dried yeast
- 30 g vegan butter melted
- pinch salt
- 200 ml oat milk room temp
- 80 g vegan butter
- 40 g caster sugar
- 1 tbs matcha powder
- 1 tbs ground cardamom
- 3 tbs pistachio finely chopped
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbs sugar pearls to finish
- Combine all the dough ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer if using. Combine with a wooden spoon to form a sticky dough.
- With the dough attached knead the dough for about 10 mins, until it firms up.after which time take a small lump and lightly stretch it, you should see the light through the dough. Alternatively you may kneed by hand.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly dusted surface and shape into a ball, place in a lightly dusted bowl and cover with cling film or tea towel and set aside some where warm for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready remove from the bowl and place on a lightly dusted surface, roll into a large rectangle shape about 0.5cm thick.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Then roll up into a fairly tight sausage length ways.
- Using a sharp knife cut the sausage in half length ways and twist the two pieces over one another like a rope.
- Pinch the ends and slightly tuck under. place the babka onto a lined baking tray.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place or proving draw for a further 45 minutes-1-hour max.
- With 15 minutes left of proving preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Once they have had their final prove, place into the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, until golden.
- Whilst cooking heat the sugar and water until simmering. Reduce a little and then take off the heat.
- Remove from the oven and immediately brush on the sugar syrup glaze liberally. Sprinkle with sugar pearls if using.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Slice or tear ‘n’ share.
This recipe was republished with permission from Naturally Natalie. Find the original recipe here.