A delicious plant-based take on the traditional Italian snack.
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sticks of celery
- 250 g risotto rice
- 150 ml vermouth
- 1 tsp. yeast extract
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- Veg stock pot/cube
- Vegan Applewood
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- Vegetable oil for the fryer
- These arancini can be made with any left over risotto but here is my favourite basic recipe!
- Finely dice an onion, celery and the garlic and slowly cook in olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Once your onions are cooked add the in the rice and stir well until the rice starts to look translucent around the edges.
- Add a stock cube, 1 tsp. of marmite, 1 tbsp. of mustard and a decent amount of black pepper and then slowly start adding hot water stirring frequently and adding more water once the rice has dried out.
- Continue this process for approx. 25-30 mins until the rice is cooked. Let the cooked rice cool quickly ( spread out in a tray) then refrigerate until needed.
- To make the arancini mould the risotto around a cube of applewood, then coat in breadcrumbs (I use panko breadcrumbs for extra crunch).
- Deep fry at 180 degrees for 6-8mins until golden brown and hot all the way through.
- Serve with a delicious Marinara tomato sauce or vegan pesto.
Watch the recipe video here.