Homemade vegan cornbread that is deliciously soft on the inside and crispy on the outside
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup organic corn meal
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapeño
- Preheat oven to 400Â° F. Lightly cover a cast iron skillet in coconut oil or use parchment paper.
- Using warm to hot water, create flax eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or glass measuring jug, mix together almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat pastry flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add pickled jalapeños and mix.
- In a large bowl, combine, almond milk mixture, flax eggs, water, and apple sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined, being careful to not over mix.
- Pour mixture into cast iron skillet. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the cornbread is golden and is pulling away from the edges of the skillet.
- Once the cornbread is finished, let cool, slice and serve as a side with chili!