- 300 g cashews soaked for 4 hours
- 400 g water
- 3 tbsp/20g corn starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder/ 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp/25 g nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white miso optional
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
For the sandwich
- 4 slices of sourdough bread or bread of your choice
- handful of mushrooms
- sauerkraut optional
- 1. Strain the cashews, discarding the soaking water.
- 2. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- 3. Transfer the liquid into a pot or a pan and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning. After 4-5 minutes the mix should become very stringy and will begin to look like cheese.
- 4. Take off the heat and serve directly into or onto your favorite sandwich. Alternatively, you can let it cool down a bit, make balls with a spoon and place into ice-cold water – this will create more of a mozzarella effect.
- 5. Serve with pan-roasted mushrooms for the meaty texture, sauerkraut for the acidic freshness that cuts through the richness of the cheese, and fresh baby spinach.