If you’re an orange and dark chocolate lover, then this jaffa tart is the one for you!
- 5 tbsp cornflour
- 5 tbsp vegan butter or margarine
- 150 ml orange juice
- 170 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp grated orange rind use organic oranges for best results
- vegan orange food coloring optional
Choc Ganache Topping
- 150 g vegan dark chocolate
- 150 ml coconut cream
Candied Orange Peel Garnish
- 170 ml water
- 170 g caster sugar plus 2 tablespoons extra
- the peel from two oranges cut into very thin strips
- Use a rectangle tart pan (sized 36×13×2.5cm). If making from scratch, you need to prepare your pastry before you make any of the other elements. Press into the tart pan to create a pastry case.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on low heat
- Take off heat and mix in flour to form a paste
- Return to medium heat and add remaining ingredients and continue to stir until sugar has dissolved and curd thickens
- Take off heat and pour into your pastry case. Smooth out so it’s even and place into the fridge to set
- Heat coconut cream until small bubbles start to form around the outside
- Remove from heat and add chocolate, make sure the coconut cream completely covers the chocolate. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir chocolate through the cream until it’s completely smooth. If it’s still lumpy, gently heat on a very low heat until completely smooth.
- Pour over your set curd and gently tap on the bench to release any air bubbles. Put back into the fridge for 30 minutes to set the ganache.
CANDIED ORANGE GARNISH
- In a small saucepan heat water and sugar until sugar has completely dissolved
- Add orange peel and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to soften the peel. Keep an eye on the peel as you don’t want your sugar to turn into toffee. Remove from heat and strain peel. Coat in a few tablespoons of sugar.
- Place the peel on the top of your totally set tart as a garnish or serve it on the side.
ORANGE CURDCHOCOLATE GANACHECANDIED ORANGE GARNISHThis recipe was republished with permission from Sara Kidd.