1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add your whole spices, (I used cumin seeds, peppercorns, cardamom and bay leaf) and cook for 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant.
2. Add chopped onions and cook at medium low heat until caramelised.
3. Add aromatics: ginger, garlic, green chilli peppers & saute for 1 minute.
4. Next add pureed tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes change colour and the raw smell goes away.
5. Then add powdered spices: turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
6. Cook this for another 5 minutes and then add the chickpeas along with the chickpea water.
7. Bring to boil, cover and cook at medium to low heat for 10-15 minutes.
8. Top with fresh coriander leaves, squeeze of lemon juice and serve with Indian flatbread or basmati rice.