Fragrant, fresh, zingy and summery… what’s not to love about this curry!
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 2 cm piece ginger grated
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 45 g/? cup roasted cashew nuts
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder use a little less if you don’t like much spice
- Juice of half lime
- 2 x 400g/14 oz tins chickpeas drained and rinsed or 280g (approx.) plain vegan chicken pieces (eg Quorn Vegan Pieces)
- 1 x 400ml/1¾ cups plus 1 tbsp tin light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp sugar ideally brown or syrup (eg maple or agave) – optional
- Juice of half lime
- 1 ripe mango stone/skin removed and cut into small bite-sized cubes (or use around 150g pre-cut mango pieces, chopped into smaller cubes)
- 2 sticks lemongrass bashed all the way along using rolling pin or similar (optional but it adds incredible fragrance and flavour)
- Bunch fresh coriander finely chopped and also save some whole leaves for decoration
Lightly fry the red onion until soft. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for a further few minutes.
Transfer to a food processor or high speed blender and add all of the other paste ingredients. Blend until nearly smooth.
In a large wok or deep frying pan, heat around 1 tablespoon oil (medium heat) and then add the curry paste.
Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes until the fragrance is released.
Stir in the coconut milk and sugar and bring to the boil.
Add the chickpeas or ‘chicken’ pieces then turn down to a low heat.
Add the lemongrass and mango and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir through the lime juice and fresh coriander at the end of cooking.
Add some salt, taste the curry and then add a little more if necessary until you achieve your desired result.
Serve with our suggestions and enjoy ?
Serving suggestions: Thai jasmine rice, steamed or stir fried pak choy, broccoli or spinach, toasted cashews, fresh chilli, vegan Thai crackers (eg Sainsbury’s are vegan) and an absolute must is coconut yogurt.
This recipe was republished with permission from Viva’s Vegan Recipe Club.
Find the original recipe here.