Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion sliced thin
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
Purple Cabbage Slaw
- 1/4 head purple cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp safflower oil or other heat tolerant oil + more for oil dispenser
- 8 10 corn tortillas
- 1 vine ripened tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 bunch cilantro
- toasted pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- habanero hot sauc
- Thinly slice the red onion and pack it tightly into an 8 oz mason jar. Leave about ½ inch of space at the top of the jar.
- Bring the water and vinegar to a boil. Add the sugar and salt and stir until dissolved.
- Carefully pour the vinegar solution into the jar making sure to fully submerge the onions.
- Allow to cool before adding the lid, then keep stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks.
- Preheat your oven to 450º.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into small florets.
- Prepare your steamer basket in a large stockpot with a small amount of water. Steam the cauliflower for 4-6 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, prepare the batter by combining the flour, water, salt and pepper.
- When the cauliflower has finished steaming, batter the cauliflower by dipping each piece into the batter and allowing the excess to drip off (or see my short-cut in the blog post).
- Prepare your baking sheets by lining then with silicon baking mats or parchment paper. Using a basting brush, thinly spread 1tbsp of safflower (or other high-temp oil) on the bottom of the baking sheet.
- Place the cauliflower florets on the baking sheet being careful to keep them separated. Lightly spray the tops of the cauliflower with additional safflower oil.
- Bake the cauliflower on the middle rack for 20 minutes. Flip each piece and then bake for 10 minutes more. The cauliflower should be brown and crispy when finished.
- Thinly slice ¼ head of purple cabbage.
- Toss with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- While the cauliflower is baking, slice the avocado, wash and tear the cilantro, dice the tomatoes and cut the lime into wedges.
- When the cauliflower is finished baking, prepare your tacos with crispy cauliflower, purple cabbage slaw, pickled red onions, sliced avocado, chopped tomatoes, fresh cilantro, toasted pepitas and habanero sauce.