Be the first to know!
Receive all the latest news updates, giveaways discounts, product announcements, and much more.
Mango Upside Down Cake
- 1 Mango peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 5 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1 tbs Vegan Margarine
- 1 & 1/2 cup 360ml Non (Dairy Milk)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup/115g Vegan Margarine melted
- 3 cups/390g Plain Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups/340g Caster Sugar
- 1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and grease a 9” diameter sealed loose bottom cake tin. Make sure it is a sealed one or the juices from the fruit will leak out.
- 2. To a saucepan add the caster sugar and margarine, place over a low heat & allow the sugar & margarine to melt into a caramel. This should take a few minutes, give it a little mix with a spatula from time to time. When the caramel is an amber color, remove it from the heat – be careful not to leave it too long as it will quickly burn & turn bitter. Please also be very careful with the hot caramel, it’s extremely hot and can be dangerous.
- 3. Pour the caramel into your cake tin, covering the bottom completely if possible. Neatly lay all the mango strips in the cake tin, starting with the edges first & working your way in. Set the tin aside and quickly make your cake mix,
- 4. Combine all the wet ingredients in measuring jug. In a large mixing bowl sift together the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk mix and fold together using your spatula in a figure of 8 motion.
- 5. Pour the cake mixture directly onto the mango into the cake tin and give it a little tap on the surface to remove any air pockets.
- 6. Pop the cake into the oven on the bottom shelf to bake for 55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake and removed comes out clean.
- 7. Once the cake has cooked, allow it to slightly cool for 5 minutes before removing it from the tin. Serve the cake with coconut cream, fresh mint leaves & little lime juice.