A plant-based version of the classic chicken tortilla soup using chickpeas or whatever beans you have instead!
- 1 lb dry chickpeas
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 8 10 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup masa
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sort and rinse dry chickpeas. Cover in water and cook in instant pot or on the stove.
- Chop bell pepper and onion. Add to frying pan with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Sauté until soft.
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, add peppers, onion, mixed vegetables, and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Once it is boiling, stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper and the chickpeas.
- Remove from heat and add masa and cilantro.
- Top with your choice of crunchy tortilla chips or sliced and toasted tortillas.