Reading Time: < 1 minute
- 300 g cashews soaked for 4 hours
- 400 g water
- 3 tbsp/20g corn starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tsp garlic powder/ 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp/25 g nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white miso optional
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
For the sandwich
- 4 slices of sourdough bread or bread of your choice
- handful of mushrooms
- sauerkraut optional
1. Strain the cashews, discarding the soaking water.
2. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth.
3. Transfer the liquid into a pot or a pan and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently to avoid burning. After 4-5 minutes the mix should become very stringy and will begin to look like cheese.
4. Take off the heat and serve directly into or onto your favorite sandwich. Alternatively, you can let it cool down a bit, make balls with a spoon and place into ice-cold water – this will create more of a mozzarella effect.
5. Serve with pan-roasted mushrooms for the meaty texture, sauerkraut for the acidic freshness that cuts through the richness of the cheese, and fresh baby spinach.