A cow looks out from behind bars A petition with more than 80,000 signatures wants to apply pressure on the government to shut down a slaughterhouse in Essex. - Media Credit: Adobe Stock

Petition To Shut Down ‘Family-Run’ Slaughterhouse Exceeds 80,000 Signatures

The petition states that a small slaughterhouse in Essex is abusing animals

By

2 Minutes Read

More than 80,000 people have signed a petition to shut down a slaughterhouse in Essex.

The petition, which is addressed to local MP Giles Francis Watling, states that “multiple laws” have been broken at the slaughterhouse, called C.J. Byford & Son.

It notes that cows were “bellowing for their lives” at the small, family-run facility, where the owner was “intentionally hurting” them by using incorrect stunning procedures.

The petition urges people to apply pressure on the government by adding their signatures.

Local meat

Vegan activist Joey Carbstrong recently called out the same slaughterhouse in an op-ed for Plant Based News.

He described an investigation into the facility, stating that cows were “terrified” and the owner was swearing and threatening them. He added that the footage proves that meat bought from “local farms” is no more ethical than any other meat on the supermarket shelf.

“You may often hear people say, ‘I only buy meat from my local butcher, and the animals are from local farms,’” writes Carbstrong.

“Well, the animals who were killed at C.J. Byford & Son were from the surrounding local farms. And, the business supplied only to local butchers, not supermarkets. This place was about as local and family-run as you can get.”

Cruelty at slaughterhouses

This is far from the first investigation to uncover abuse at slaughterhouses. But these facilities don’t just hurt animals, they harm people too.

Last year, Jack Hancock-Fairs, who is a vegan advocate and the son of a slaughterhouse worker, announced a documentary called The Dying Trade. The film shines a light on human and animal suffering in slaughterhouses.

He said at the time: “The suffering experienced within slaughterhouses is huge in scale and clearly neglected.”

“I really hope this film can open people’s eyes to the animal cruelty and poor worker treatment that exists within the walls of slaughterhouses all over the world. By raising awareness about these issues, we can help lay the groundwork for future progress.”

Millions around the world trust Plant Based News for content about navigating our changing planet & our role in it.

Our independent team of journalists and experts are committed to making an impact through a wide range of content—and you can help by supporting our work today.

heading/author

The Author

Charlotte Pointing

Charlotte writes about sustainable beauty, fashion, and food. She spent more than 4 years editing in leading vegan media, and has a degree in history and a postgraduate in cultural heritage.

More by Charlotte Pointing iconography/arrow-right

heading/comments

Plant Based News Comment Policy

In short:- If you act with maturity and consideration for other users, you should have no problems. Please read our Comment policy before commenting.

Notify of
guest
6 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Heather
Heather
1 month ago

The footage should also be shown on the local tv stations. It is absolutely UNREAL what went on behind closed doors! It will stay with me forever.💔

mari smeti
mari smeti
1 month ago

The more new EVIL exposed regarding Animal slaughter, the more we must — GO VEGAN — GO VEGAN — the PSYCHOS in this industry should be thrown in prison– they will continue with depraved cruelty to Animals, especially behind the scenes — we MUST STOP them — SHUT DOWN these HELL-HOLES — GO VEGAN — GO VEGAN

d.r. white
d.r. white
1 month ago

I hate these people. I’m not supposed to, as I’m supposed to understand. I used to understand, more, and that people doing this for generations are literally brainwashed into seeing it as okay.. But I am near 60 yrs of age, and there is absolutely no reason why these people can remain ignorant and not be judged for it. I feel it is wrong to judge. That the longer one is vegan the less militant about they supposedly become yet…the longer I am a vegan, the more I hate them. I bloody hate them. They are cruel repugnant liars . I can’t even view it, but hearing it is awful enough. I have been crying. This hurts and is traumatic. I am from farmer people. I have seen a lot.
I haven’t even seen any of my own family since my kid was 6 months. they are 15 now. How can I love people who think this is okay? Could I love a human serial killer?
PS if one way to show people who may be in doubt about the cruelty involved, without showing them graphic footage, is to show them a farmer’s supply catalog at the equipment used.

d.r. white
d.r. white
1 month ago

I hate these people. I’m not supposed to, as I’m supposed to understand. I used to understand, more, that people doing this for generations are literally brainwashed into seeing it as okay. But I am near 60 yrs of age, and there is absolutely no reason why these people can remain ignorant and not be judged for it. I feel it is wrong to judge. That the longer one is vegan, the less militant about it, one is supposedly to become, yet…the longer I am a vegan, the more I hate them. I bloody hate them. They are cruel repugnant liars. I can’t even view it, but hearing it is awful enough. I have been crying. This hurts and is traumatic. I am from farmer people. I have seen a lot.
I haven’t even seen any of my own family since my kid was 6 months. Kid is 15 now. How can I love people who think this is okay? Could I love a human serial killer?
PS One way to show people, who may be in doubt about the cruelty involved, without showing them graphic footage, is to show them a farmer’s supply catalog at the equipment used.

Da Muller
Da Muller
1 month ago

“Infact, if one person is unkind to an animal it is considered to be cruelty, but where a lot of people are unkind to animals, especially in the name of commerce, the cruelty is condoned and once large sums of money are at stake, will be defended to the last by otherwise intelligent people.”–Ruth Harrison, Animal Machines – 1964

Aerith
Aerith
21 days ago

Leave animals alone.Stop killing,abusing,and torturing them.They are living beings and they deserve to live and enjoy life just as much as humans do.Their lives matter too.Shut down slaughterhouses.

buttons/scroll-to-top/scroll-to-top-small-active