- 400 g / 14.1oz firm tofu
- 250 g / 8.8oz coconut yoghurt
- 1 lemon juice only
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- big pinch of salt
- coconut oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- thumb of ginger
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 kg / 35.2oz passata / tomato sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- handful of coriander
- rice for 4 people
- Drain any excess water from the tofu and press for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the remaining marinade ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Slice tofu into 2cm pieces, transfer to the marinade and use a spoon to coat the tofu in all the marinade. Then transfer the tofu into an air-tight container, cover, and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but ideally overnight.
- When you’re ready to prepare the curry, preheat oven to 180°C / 356°F fan-assisted and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Then add a tsp of coconut oil to a large saucepan on a low-medium heat.
- Peel and dice the red onion, then when the oil is hot transfer the onion to the saucepan. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Peel and dice the garlic and ginger. Transfer to the saucepan and fry for 2 minutes.
- Next add the cumin seeds, paprika, garam masala and chilli powder, and fry for 1 minute to toast the spices.
- Pour the passata into the saucepan, followed by a very generous pinch of salt and the caster sugar. Give everything a good stir, then cover and lower the heat. Leave the curry to simmer for at least 30 minutes, but check on it a couple of times and give it a stir in case it sticks to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove the tofu from the fridge and transfer the marinated tofu pieces to the baking tray, making sure you scoop up as much of the marinade onto the tofu as possible. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the rice as per the packet instructions.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and carefully drop each piece into the curry sauce, followed by the remaining coconut yoghurt and the lemon juice. Give everything a good stir and add extra seasoning if necessary. Simmer on a low heat for a few minutes, then remove the curry from the heat.
- Serve the curry with the rice and a generous handful of fresh coriander.