Fresh out the oven, with a generous serving of plant-based butter. Does it get any better than that?
- 1 cup soy milk
- 60 g vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 1/4 cup bread flour
- 1 cup currants
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp yeast heaped
- 1 apple small
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp water
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan with the vanilla to infuse, then add the butter and melt into the milk
- Set aside to cool off until just warm
- Cut the apple into very small pieces
- Combine all the ingredients except the butter and milk mixture.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk mixture then combine it all with your hands
- Knead for about 10 minutes, then set aside to rise in a warm place until doubled in size
- Knock back, then divide into 8 small balls and lay out in a buttered baking tray
- Leave again to rise in a warm place for about an hour
- Mix the flour and water, put in a piping bag and paint the crosses on top.
- Bake in a pre heated oven of 180 degrees, for 30 minutes
- Let cool
- Mix together the jam and water and brush on top to glaze
This recipe was republished with permission from Olive Wood Vegan. Find the original recipe here.