Some people always think a cruelty-free Thanksgiving is hard to pull off, but it is not at all – and this sweet potato casserole with vegan marshmallow makes a great side dish
- 4 sweet potatoes peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups non dairy milk
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 3 tsp organic brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Peel and chop sweet potatoes into big chunks. If the potatoes are too hard to cut microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- In a big pot add the vegan milk and potatoes. Cook for 25-35 minutes or until soft. You can boil them in water but boiling in milk will make them creamier.
- Once the sweet potatoes are very mushy and the liquid is mostly gone mash them. You can use either a fork or potato masher for this.
- Once you have reached your desired texture add the vegan butter, brown sugar, garlic powder and salt. Mix together and taste. Adjust to your flavor preferences.
- Transfer into an oven safe dish any size will work just depends how thick you want the mashed potato layer to be. Cover the whole thing with marshmallows.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes until the marshmallows are expanded and melted.
This recipe was republished with permission from Plantifully Based. Find the original recipe here.