Be the first to know!
Receive all the latest news updates, giveaways discounts, product announcements, and much more.
Lentil Shepherd Pie
- 2 onions – finely chopped
- 2 carrots – finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 stick of celery – finely chopped
- 350 g of chestnut mushrooms – cleaned and trimmed
- 550 g of cooked Puy or green lentils
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 spring of fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of marmite yeast extract
- 100 ml of water or veggie stock
- A generous pinch of salt
- A glug of olive oil
- For the potato topping:
- About 1kg of potato – peeled and chopped into pieces
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 100 ml of unsweetened soy milk
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Add the chopped potatoes to large and cover them with cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Put the lid on and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes for 15 minutes until they are soft. Drain them and put them back into the pan
- Add the oil to a large pan together with the chopped onion, carrots and celery. Cook on medium heat for around 8 minutes until the onion starts to caramelize. Add in the crushed garlic and cook for another few minutes. Remove the leaves from the rosemary and thyme stems and add them to the pan. Mix everything together.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, and marmite and mix again.
- Add all the mushrooms to a food processor and pulse until you have a mince kind of texture.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and mix everything together.
- Add the cooked lentils and water or veggie stock an cook on high heat for about 15 minutes. You want to make sure all the water from the mushrooms evaporates and you are left with a thick and rich ragu.
- Add the soy milk and mustard to the potties and mash them until you have a smooth puree.
- Spread the lentil ragu onto a baking dish. Add on top the mashed potatoes and press them down with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until slightly golden on top. Serve straight away and enjoy!