Did you know that Coffee Cake rarely ever contains Coffee? Who'd of thought it?! A slice of this however will go down a treat with a nice hot drink.
- 1/2 cup flour + 2 tbsp
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt fine
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted (+ 1 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter soft
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt fine
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Make the streusel topping by mixing together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt in a small mixing bowl. Pour in the vegan butter and mix everything to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar to make a "sour cream." Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and cane sugar using a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Sift the all-purpose flour into the mixture, bit-by-bit, while mixing on low-speed. Then add the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine, being sure not to over mix the batter.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and pour in half of the batter. Sprinkle lightly with a layer of streusel topping. Then pour in the remaining half of the batter to top and smoothen it as best you can to make an even layer, (it's okay if it's a bit rustic). Finish by sprinkling the top with the remaining streusel to cover. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool and cut into squares.
This recipe was republished with permission from Two Spoons. You can find the original recipe here.