Niki from Rebel Recipes shares her first plant-based recipe using what she describes as the ‘vegan go-to these days’: jackfruit
Mushroom Jackfruit Filling
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rapesee oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp brown rice miso
- 125 g mushrooms chopped finely
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 225 g can jackfruit drained and chopped up a little
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut cream or yogurt – optional
- Black pepper
- Pinch Chilli flakes
- Salt if needed
- 1/4 cabbage finely sliced into strips
- 1 carrot pealed and cut into strips
- 1/2 fennel finely sliced
- 4 spring onions sliced on the diagonal
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 4 tbsp salted peanuts crushed a little
- Big handful Coriander
- Handful fresh mint
- 1 cup 1/4 plus gram flour
- 1 cup – 250ml water
- Splash rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp Organic apple cider
- Pinch sea salt
To make the mushroom filing
- Add the oil to a medium pan. Add the onions and fry for 6-8 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Transfer the chopped mushrooms, jackfruit, Mirin, tamari, Miso and hoisin to the pan and stir to combine.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Finally add the, toasted sesame oil, coconut yogurt, black pepper and chilli flakes. Set aside.
To make the slaw
- Finely slice the cabbage into long strips.
- Cut the sping onion diagonally, slice the fennel into thin slices and slice the carrot into thin ribbons using a peeler. Add them all to a large bowl.
- Now toast the seeds by adding them to a dry pan. Toast on a medium heat until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- To make the dressing add all the ingredients to a jar, replace the lid and shake to combine.
- Toss the veg with the dressing then top with the pomegranate seeds, salted peanuts and toasted seeds. Sprinkle with fresh Coriander and mint.
To make the pancakes
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water, oil and vinegar. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even pancake.
- Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the pancake and you can lift over to flip easily.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute
- Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Load the pancakes with the mushroom jackfruit filling and top with the peanut slaw.
To make the slawTo make the pancakesTo serveThis recipe was republished with permission from Rebel Recipes. Find the original recipe here.