Niki from Rebel Recipes shares her first plant-based recipe using what she describes as the ‘vegan go-to these days’: jackfruit
Mushroom Jackfruit Filling
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp rapesee oil
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp brown rice miso
- 125 g mushrooms chopped finely
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 225 g can jackfruit drained and chopped up a little
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp coconut cream or yogurt – optional
- Black pepper
- Pinch Chilli flakes
- Salt if needed
- 1/4 cabbage finely sliced into strips
- 1 carrot pealed and cut into strips
- 1/2 fennel finely sliced
- 4 spring onions sliced on the diagonal
- 4 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- 4 tbsp salted peanuts crushed a little
- Big handful Coriander
- Handful fresh mint
- 1 cup 1/4 plus gram flour
- 1 cup – 250ml water
- Splash rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp Organic apple cider
- Pinch sea salt
To make the mushroom filing
- Add the oil to a medium pan. Add the onions and fry for 6-8 minutes until soft and browning.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further minute.
- Transfer the chopped mushrooms, jackfruit, Mirin, tamari, Miso and hoisin to the pan and stir to combine.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Finally add the, toasted sesame oil, coconut yogurt, black pepper and chilli flakes. Set aside.
To make the slaw
- Finely slice the cabbage into long strips.
- Cut the sping onion diagonally, slice the fennel into thin slices and slice the carrot into thin ribbons using a peeler. Add them all to a large bowl.
- Now toast the seeds by adding them to a dry pan. Toast on a medium heat until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- To make the dressing add all the ingredients to a jar, replace the lid and shake to combine.
- Toss the veg with the dressing then top with the pomegranate seeds, salted peanuts and toasted seeds. Sprinkle with fresh Coriander and mint.
To make the pancakes
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water, oil and vinegar. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even pancake.
- Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the pancake and you can lift over to flip easily.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute
- Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Load the pancakes with the mushroom jackfruit filling and top with the peanut slaw.