Be the first to know!
Receive all the latest news updates, giveaways discounts, product announcements, and much more.
Vegan Chocolate Fudge Cake Ice Cream
- Ice cream machine
For The Ice Cream
- 200 g raw unsalted cashews soaked in boiling water for 1 hour
- 310 g water
- 210 g sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 70 g boiling water
- 40 g cocoa powder
- 20 g odourless coconut oil
- 100 g dark chocolate finely chopped
- 1 tsp freeze dried espresso powder
- pinch salt
For The Cake Pieces
- 3/4 tsp psyllium husk powder + 3 tsp water
- 55 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 18 g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- 25 g vegan margarine
- 68 g granulated sugar
- 38 ml oat milk
To Make the Cake Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a cupcake tray with 3 cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl combine the psyllium husks and the water. Mix and set aside to thicken.
- In another small bowl, measure out the flour and the baking powder. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cocoa and the boiling water. Fit the paddle attachment and beat until smooth. Add the vegan margarine and psyllium egg and beat until smooth (the psyllium tends to clump very easily, so make sure you beat very well).
- Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the six cupcake cases.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly in the tin before removing each cake delicately and allowing to cool fully on a wire cooking rack.
- Once cooled, remove the cupcake cases and slice the cakes into 1/2cm – 1cm cubes. Place the cubes of cake on a baking tray and spread out so they’re touching as little as possible. Place in the freezer to firm up.
To Make the Ice Cream
- Drain the soaked cashews and discard the soaking water. Place the cashews in the cup of a high-speed blender along with the 310g of water. Blend until very smooth then pour out into a large bowl. To the bowl add the sweetened condensed coconut milk. Whisk to combine then set aside.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk well until all the chocolate and coconut oil has melted and everything is well combined. (nb. the heat from the boiling water should be enough to melt everything but if this doesn’t work, place the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and stir until everything is melted and combined).
- Pour the chocolate “liquor” into the cashew and condensed coconut milk mixture. Blend with an immersion blender until completely combined and smooth. Cover the bowl with cling film or a large plate and place in the fridge to cool for an hour. Do not leave to cool overnight or it will become too solid!
- Once cooled, give it another whizz with the immersion blender to homogenise and then pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. While freezing, select the vessel you’d like to store your ice cream in and place it in the freezer to chill.
- Once the blades of the ice cream machine can’t turn any more and the ice cream resembles soft serve, stop the machine. Remove the ice cream and place a few spoonfuls in the bottom of your storage container. Sprinkle over some pieces of cake then top with more ice cream. Repeat until you’re out of ice cream then top with a final layer of cake. Press the cake down lightly into the ice cream.
- Freeze the ice cream for at least 2 hours before eating it. If you freeze it overnight it’ll need to defrost slightly before it becomes scoopable, so take it out of the freezer 10 mins before you need it.