- 1 1/2 tbsp oil divided
- 4 5 tbsp vegetable broth or water
- 1 onion diced
- 1 batch
- or 7 oz 200 g store (bought vegan cheese)
- 2 oz 56 g of fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices of sandwich bread gluten free if needed
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce gluten free if needed
- 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper optional
- Slice one large carrot lengthwise into strips (about 1/4 inch or 0.6 cm thick).
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a skillet. Once hot add the carrot slices. Sprinkle some salt on top.
- Add 4-5 tbsp of vegetable broth or water after a few minutes to avoid burning.
- Cook with a lid on over medium heat until tender, about 12-15 minutes (adding more broth/water if needed). Flip halfway through.
- At the same time, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a different pan and add the diced onion. Sautè for 4-5 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Add all spices, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and spinach. Turn off the heat after 60 seconds and set the pan aside.
- Drizzle 4 slices of bread from both sides with a little oil and sprinkle some garlic powder on top. Heat them up in a pan or on the grill for a few minutes.
- Prepare a batch of my vegan cheese sauce or skip this step if you use store-bought cheese.
- Top two slices of bread with a heaped tbsp of the vegan cheese sauce.
- Then add the spinach, onion mixture.
- Top with the carrot slices.
- Add another layer of vegan cheese sauce.
- Finally, top with the other slice of bread. Cook on medium heat in a skillet or on the grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more, then remove from pan. Enjoy!