Reading Time: < 1 minute
- 2 blocks extra firm tofu drained pressed and cut into bite (sized blocks)
- 1 cup jasmine rice dry
- 2 3 bunches broccolini trimmed and cut into bite
- 2 tbsp sesame oil divided into 1 T. portions
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce select a vegan option
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or substitute tamari for gluten free
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 scallion washed and chopped separate the white from the green and mince the white
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger minced
- pinch of Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Gently toss the cubed tofu in 1 T. sesame oil until evenly coated. Lay the tofu out on a baking sheet so that there is space between each piece.
Bake the tofu for 20 minutes, stopping to flip each piece after 10 minutes.
While the tofu is baking, prepare the rice according to the package directions. At the end of the rice cook time, gently steam the broccolini in a strainer over the rice pot. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, maple syrup, the minced white parts of the scallion, garlic, fresh ginger, 5-spice powder and sriracha sauce. Whisk until well combined.
In a large hot skillet add the other T. of sesame oil. Add the tofu and the sauce. Stirring constantly, gently allow the sauce to thicken and coat the tofu.
To plate, add a scoop of jasmine rice to each bowl, add the steamed broccolini and the tofu. Top with the green scallion, sesame seeds and additional sriracha (if desired).