What to do with the unloved packet of mung beans at the back of your pantry?
- 200 g Mung beans soaked overnight
- 1 onion chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 200 g cherry tomatoes sliced
- 500 g veg stock
- Big pinch sea salt
- Black pepper
Gram Flour Flatbread
- 100 g gram flour
- Pinch salt
- Splash olive oil
- 150 ml water
- 3 tbsp white Sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp coconut yogurt or plant based yogurt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 3 tbsp fresh mint chopped
To make the mung beans;
- Soak mung beans for at least 4 hrs or overnight
- Firstly add the oil to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat then add the onion, fry for aprox 8-10 minutes on a low to medium heat until soft and browning. Now add the spices, and garlic, stir for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Now add in the tomatoes and allow to cook down for a few minutes.
- Add the mung beans and veg stock. Simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed.
- Season well.
To make the flatbreads;
- Add the gram flour and salt to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water and olive oil. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom.
- Cook on medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the bread and you can lift over to flip easily.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute
- Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter.
To make the Gomashio;
- Dry toast the sesame seeds and salt in a pan until lightly toasted. Be careful not to burn. Set aside.
To make the dip;
- Add all the ingredients to a jar and mix to combine.
- Serve the stew with dollops of garlic dip, sprinkles of gomashio and scoop up with flathead.