A new list has revealed the top 10 cities where veganism is most popular.
The list was compiled by Chef’s Pencil, which analyzed Google Trends data (describing it as a ‘reliable source of big data’) and searches for interest levels for veganism across the world.
It found that in 2020, searches in the veganism category (including vegan-related searches made in any language) were at an all-time high in 2020.
‘Added fuel to its popularity’
The COVID-19 pandemic has not stopped the rise of veganism but has ‘added fuel to its popularity’, Chef’s Pencil said in a statement sent to Plant Based News.
While lockdown has come to an end in most parts of the world and many restaurants have re-opened, searches for vegan recipes have skyrocketed, and continue to go strong.
Search data showed that countries and cities whose cuisine traditionally is greatly meat- and dairy-based are seeing a big rise in veganism, said Chef’s Pencil, which it concluded means that ‘veganism is stronger than ever’.
1. Bristol, UK (Popularity Score: 100)
2. Portland, US (Popularity Score: 76)
3. Edinburgh, UK (Popularity Score: 75)
4. London, UK (Popularity Score: 69)
5. (tie) Amsterdam, NL (Popularity Score: 67)
5. (tie) Berlin, DE (Popularity Score: 67)
5. (tie) Hamburg, DE (Popularity Score: 67)
8. Manchester, UK (Popularity Score: 63)
9. (tie) Leipzig, DE (Popularity Score: 62)
9. (tie) Vancouver, CA (Popularity Score: 62)