Man’s Forearm Amputated After Contaminated Fish Consumption

By

1 Minutes Read

The man developed symptoms within 12 hours of consuming raw fish - Media Credit:

A South Korean man lost his forearm to amputation after eating contaminated fish and contracting flesh-eating bacteria, according to a recently released case study.

The study – published by The New England Journal Of Medicine – stated that the man developed ‘fever and excruciating pain’ 12 hours after eating raw fish.

By the time the patient was seen by doctors, he had lesions and swelling in both his left hand and forearm.

Amputation

According to the report, the infection persisted despite treatment – with the lesions developing into ‘deep necrotic ulcers’.

His forearm was amputated 25 days after his first visit.

The patient ‘did well’ and was discharged soon after.

Risks

The report noted potential sources of flesh-eating bacteria.

Included in the list were contaminated seawater, and raw or undercooked seafood.

Support Plant Based News in our mission to plant 1 million trees by 2030. 🌳

Your donation supports our mission to bring you vital, up-to-the-minute plant-based news and research and contributes to our goal of planting 1 million trees by 2030. Every contribution combats deforestation and promotes a sustainable future. Together, we can make a difference – for our planet, health, and future generations.

© 2023 Plant Based News is a UK-based digital media outlet publishing content about veganism and plant-based living, including news and current events, health, personal transformation stories, features, and recipes. | Plant Based News Ltd, PO Box 71173, London, SE20 9DQ, United Kingdom.

buttons/scroll-to-top/scroll-to-top-small-active