Vegan Doctor Danielle Belardo Dr. Belardo said she receives 'flack' from vegans because she is 'honest' about the data - Media Credit: Adobe. Do not use without permission.

‘You Don’t Have To Follow 100% Plant-Based Diet For Ideal Health’, Says Vegan Doctor

By

3 Minutes Read

A vegan doctor and cardiologist faced criticism after claiming you don’t have to be vegan for optimum health because she is ‘honest’ about all data and guidelines.

Dr. Danielle Belardo made the claim in an interview via Dr. Varshavski. He is known as Doctor Mike, a health influencer with almost 7 million subscribers on youtube.

‘Bad vegan’

‘You’ve been sometimes labeled a bad vegan‘, he said. Dr. Belardo has apparently received ‘a lot of flack’ from vegans online allegedly because she’s ‘honest and transparent about the data’.

Dr. Belardo says she is the ‘most disliked doctor’ among vegans

According to Dr. Belardo, veganism is ‘more of an ethical decision’ over a health choice or diet.

More vegan physicians need to keep their messaging ‘honest’ she added: ‘I don’t need to convince people to go vegan by cherry-picking data’.

Is 100% Plant-Based The Best For Health?

‘Would you say we have complete data to say that the elimination of all animal products is undoubtedly safe and ideal for all?’, Doctor Mike asked.

‘Chasing the perfect diet is a fallacy’, Dr. Belardo explained: ‘you don’t have to follow a 100% plant-based diet for ideal health’.

She later clarified that patients should adopt a diet replete with plant-based foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds. There are ‘absolutely’ no health benefits to eating meat, she said.

Many doctors agree there are no health detriments to adopting a plant-based lifestyle. New York Times best selling author Dr. Michael Greger is one example. He states: “Plant-based diets aren’t just safer and cheaper. They can work better because they let us treat the actual cause of the disease.”

17 Minute Conversation

Watch the full interview between Doctor Mike and Dr. Belardo.

The video has been watched hundreds of thousands of times

Statement

Dr. Belardo has since made a statement.

In it, she says: “Going vegan is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle about reducing harm to animals in all ways practical and possible. I believe in not eating animal products, I don’t wear leather, or buy cosmetics that have been tested on animals.

“My decision to be vegan is my personal decision. But as a physician – I have to stick to the science.

“Eating a plant-based diet is a healthful dietary pattern I recommend, but the scientific evidence at this time has not demonstrated that a 100% plant-based diet is superior to a Mediterranean style plant predominant diet with some animal products.

“There are countless reasons to follow a vegan lifestyle, but that doesn’t have to mean that physicians who are personally vegan have to professionally abandon scientific discussion and evidence-based medicine.

“I’ll always be vegan. But for me it’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle.”

This article was updated to include a statement Dr. Belardo made since publishing.

Millions around the world trust Plant Based News for content about navigating our changing planet & our role in it.

Our independent team of journalists and experts are committed to making an impact through a wide range of content—and you can help by supporting our work today.

heading/author

The Author

heading/comments

Plant Based News Comment Policy

In short:- If you act with maturity and consideration for other users, you should have no problems. Please read our Comment policy before commenting.

Notify of
guest
15 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Rob Dexter
Rob Dexter
1 year ago

This is like a doctor saying you don’t have to give up smoking, just cut down. Worse, it’s also saying that you don’t have to stop causing the torture and murder of all animals, just reduce how many you harm. Definitely not what a vegan should be saying and more like what a plant-based eater would say. Very disappointed. Another traitor to the animals, it seems.

Sam
Sam
Reply to  Rob Dexter

??????

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Rob Dexter

A flexitarian can be eating a cleaner and therefore more healthy diet than a “junk food vegan”. That’s just a fact. If we want to win hearts and minds and have veganism be a driving ideology we need to remain factual.

equa yona
equa yona
Reply to  Rob Dexter

No, it’s not like cutting down smoking. There’s no comparison. And she is a vegan and advocates for a vegan lifestyle. She’s not a traitor and you’re sounding like a science-denying fanatic. She clearly states what veganism is, an ethical choice to reduce and eliminate animal exploitation. It is not a diet, and eating small amounts of animal products is ethically repulsive, but not necessarily unhealthy.

AntWhale
AntWhale
1 year ago

What is better? Someone encouraged to include more plants in their diet, or someone put off by a black and white all or nothing approach. The first approach is better on environmental, animal cruelty, and health grounds.

Matt
Matt
Reply to  AntWhale

Agreed. We need to stick to facts and not put people off by extremism.

Scott Grabell
Scott Grabell
1 year ago

This is why we don’t talk about diet or health. We talk about animals.

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Scott Grabell

Quite right, to promote the vegan ideology. But what about getting some people there gradually? Maybe someone is a “reducitarian” for some time eating whole foods. They experience improvements in their health. Then maybe they can make that extra step, and become vegan. That’s a win for everybody.

Nitharshni
Nitharshni
1 year ago

Everytime we eat an animal product with no health benefits, we miss out an opportunity to eat something actually healthy in the plant-based diet.

rodentx2
rodentx2
1 year ago

Please read “Throwing Animals–and Animal Advocacy–Under the Bus” It is deeply troubling, in this regard, that the Clean Meat lobby has demonstrated its willingness, even eagerness, to undermine all three of these aspects critical to successful animal advocacy–in order to promote its capital investments with the meat industry. Instead of educating the public about the truth of animal agriculture, the horrific violence that is its basis, Clean Meat advocates seek to “cleanse” the public conversation about meat of any reference to the actual facts of animal suffering. Instead of engaging in moral discourse or embracing animal rights, they explicitly disavow ethics and depict speciesism as a mere “technical” problem–one that will soon be fixed by amoral capitalist entrepreneurs. Instead of working in solidarity with vegans, they trivialize their perspectives–and emphasize their failures. See: https://www.cleanmeat-hoax.com/throwing-the-animal-movement-under-the-bus.html

Jennifer
Jennifer
1 year ago

Who paid this doctor!?? It sounds to me like she’s contradicting herself with each statement

John Pettit
John Pettit
1 year ago

I am a vegan, not because of health or animal cruelty concerns, because one day it just happened.
One lunchtime a few years ago I was in a takeaway food shop and about to purchase a roast lamb sandwich. What I walked away with was a vegetable pastie. Five months later, thinking about my lunch of fruit and yogurt tomorrow, I walked to the dairy section of the IGA where my hand reached out for a tub of yogurt – and returned empty, something inside deciding no, just fruit I think. As with the roast lamb sandwich there was no internal debate, a reflection on or a conscious decision, there was no choice to be made, it just happened.

When my house was burnt down in the Australian bushfires last summer I again started eating egg in the form of egg sandwiches and roast chicken. Living in the bush with the closest source of food being a small rural community 20 ks away it was do that or go hungry, and the decision to do so occurred the way the decision already alluded to above accrued – it just happened. A few months later, when I had some form of roof over my head again and had regained more control over my physical infrastructureI, I just evolved back to a vegan diet once more.
I’ve resurrected my vegie garden following the fire and once again grow all my vegetables, the fruit and nut orchard is the next to be done. In a few years I hope to eat a 100% homegrown plant-based diet. But some vegans will call me as traitor (a traitor to what?), a hypocrite, immoral, or some other colourful label.

This post from Plant Based News is the first that I’ve bothered to open for months. And once more I find judgmental comments directed at others, the reason I totally stopped viewing vegan-generated material a couple of years ago.
Please some of you, there are more ways to adopting a vegan diet than health and animal cruelty concerns, both of which are very important. That doctor will convince more of her patience to adopt a vegan diet by being honest, as she sees it, with them, and far more successfully than moralistic lecturing at.
You attract more bees with honey, or should I more politically correctly now write ‘malt syrup’ than with vinegar you know.

Aga Victoria Lauren
Aga Victoria Lauren
1 year ago

she should not call herself a vegan doctor if she promotes not 100% vegan living. she would be considered plant based not vegan. perhaps she should look into what vegan really means first …. definitely not impressed with her and a bit disappointed because this kind of stuff confuses people

Carina Ekström
Carina Ekström
1 year ago

The best possible plant diet is scentifically healthier than the best possible omnivorous one, except I agree that a few percent, maybe up to 5% animal product like seafood would probably not make much difference in real life.

Daved Forkel
Daved Forkel
1 year ago

Meaters (meat-eaters) are no different than cannibals just the degree that’s all; flesh is flesh whether it’s from a human or animal. Humans that consume meat/flesh are the graves of all murdered animals!

buttons/scroll-to-top/scroll-to-top-small-active