'World's First' lab-grown lobster meat unveiled in Asia Shiok Meats unveils lab-grown lobster meat at a tasting event in Singapore - Media Credit:

‘World’s First’ Cell-Based Lobster Meat Unveiled In Asia

By

1 Minutes Read

Shiok Meats, based in Singapore, has unveiled the ‘world’s first-ever’ cell-based lobster meat made inside a lab.

The cultured meat is made from harvesting cells, and the company claims the process is similar to growing fruits and vegetables in a greenhouse.

Solving ‘inefficiencies’

Co-founders Dr. Sandhya Sriram and Dr. Ka Yi Ling unveiled the lobster prototype at a private tasting event, using it to make a gazpacho and terrine dish.

Dr. Sriram revealed the company’s mission is to transform the seafood industry in order to solve ‘the inefficiencies around global protein production’.

‘Fascinating’

Adrien Desbaillets, of Saladstop, who attended the tasting said the taste was ‘wonderful’.

He added: “To really get a sense of umami flavors that can be developed from this sort of technology, and by blending it with different bases, it really fascinating.

“It’s a great journey that Shiok Meats has been on for the past two years, and exciting to see it all come together.”

Cultured meat

The meat is ‘animal, health, and environment friendly’ without cruelty, according to Shiok Meats – but cultured meat is not vegan as it still requires the use of animals.

Research indicates 35 percent of meat will be lab-cultured over the next 20 years.

Shiok Meats plans to launch products in 2022, starting with its Shiok Shrimp.

Millions around the world trust Plant Based News for content about navigating our changing planet & our role in it.

Our independent team of journalists and experts are committed to making an impact through a wide range of content—and you can help by supporting our work today.

heading/author

The Author

heading/comments

Plant Based News Comment Policy

In short:- If you act with maturity and consideration for other users, you should have no problems. Please read our Comment policy before commenting.

Notify of
guest
6 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Rowland Ross
Rowland Ross
1 year ago

For God’s sake eat real food. If you don’t agree with seafoods eat something else. The food manufacturing industry is already responsible for a large amount of ill health and ecological damage across the world, why support it?

Natasha Correa
Natasha Correa
1 year ago
Reply to  Rowland Ross

I’m with you.

Will Kriski, M.Sc.
1 year ago
Reply to  Natasha Correa

you’re with cruelty and saturated fat and cholesterol of ‘real animals’, ok.

Natasha Correa
Natasha Correa
1 year ago

Oh no!! I see what happened. I didn’t make the right conclusion on the first comment and I didn’t read all the replies. I apologize. Of course I’m not with that, I’m sorry I didn’t see all that was written.
I go to sleep and wake up with heartache every day knowing that animals are being relentlessly slaughtered, unjustifiably abused and enslaved.
I’m as vegan as you can get, can’t even kill a spider and I’m terrified of them.
I’m currently working on a billboard campaign to expose the meat and dairy industries; I’m looking for a graphic designer who can help me with it. If you know anyone who can help me. please let me know.

Will Kriski, M.Sc.
1 year ago
Reply to  Rowland Ross

No “real” food are beautiful living creatures, not to mention they have saturated fat and cholesterol, heme iron, IGF-1, nue5gc, etc leading to heart disease, cancer, diabetes (sat fat blocks insulin receptors), etc. Talk about damage from raping cows, all the animal waste dumped into rivers, antibiotics, growth hormones, etc. Grass fed isn’t sustainable to feed billions so they put them in feed lots for efficiency. But you probably grew up like everyone being taught to ignore your natural love of animals – but you tell yourself you love animals, like dogs, cats, horses etc.

Rowland Ross
Rowland Ross
1 year ago

Saturated fat? Cholesterol? heme iron? raping cows? growth hormones? cats? dogs? horses? What’s all this got to do with The food manufacturing industry? If you don’t have the capacity to understand a comment why bother to reply.

buttons/scroll-to-top/scroll-to-top-small-active