Beef Giant Was 'Wrong' To Launch Vegan Burger, Says Pro-Farming Poll
A pro-farming poll said a meat company was 'wrong' to launch a vegan burger (Photo: Adobe. Do not use without permission) - Media Credit:

Beef Giant Was ‘Wrong’ To Launch Vegan Burger, Says Pro-Farming Poll

By

1 Minutes Read

A major meat processor was ‘wrong’ to launch a vegan burger, according to a poll in major agricultural outlet Farmers Weekly.

Beef giant ABP launched its vegan burger this week in a bid to meet growing demand for flexitarian, vegetarian, and vegan food.

‘The Real Deal’ patty, which is made from seasoned pea and soy protein, was launched in Asda and online under ABP’s new ‘Equals’ label. The burger, which comes in a packet that says ‘no meat. no compromise’, is aimed at both meat eaters and veggies/vegans.

‘Wrong to release vegan burger’

Writing about the new product, Farmers’ Weekly said: “The decision has met with a mixed reaction on Facebook and Twitter. Some critics have praised ABP for embracing alternative plant-based foods, whereas others have complained that it is wrong to call a meat-free burger a ‘burger’.”

The outlet shared a poll asking: “Was beef processor ABP right to launch a vegan burger?”

A significant 70 percent of respondents said ‘no’, with the remaining 30 percent answering ‘yes’.

Vegan burger

Speaking about the launch, ABP UK Commercial Director Darren Jones said the company’s ‘core business is and will remain in beef’, adding that the brand ‘recognizes the growing demand for products that fit a flexitarian and meat-free lifestyle’.

“We are very excited about our first fresh brand launch into the meat-free category,” he said.

“As a business we have long invested in understanding market and consumer trends and we have a keen interest in exploring opportunities that provide consumers with choice.”

Millions around the world trust Plant Based News for content about navigating our changing planet & our role in it.

Our independent team of journalists
and experts are committed to making an impact through a wide range of content—and
you can help by supporting our work today.

heading/author

The Author

Maria Chiorando

Maria is the former editor for Plant Based News. She has been a newspaper reporter and features writer. Her work has been published by The Guardian and The Huffington Post, among others

More by Maria Chiorando iconography/arrow-right

heading/comments

Leave a Comment

Plant Based News Comment Policy

In short:- If you act with maturity and consideration for other users, you should have no problems. Please read our Comment policy before commenting.

Comments [0]  
buttons/scroll-to-top/scroll-to-top-small-active