A petition calling on the UK goverment to ban fireworks has been signed by more than 185,000 people.
Once UK Parliment and Government petitions reach 100,000 signatures, they are considered for debate in Parliament. A debate date is expected to be announced tomorrow.
The petition, which was launched by Elizabeth Jayne Harden, has garnered support on social media after several animal deaths were reported as a result of fireworks.
‘Died of fright’
One woman revealed in a Facebook post that her 18-week-old puppy Molly died of a heart attack this weekend.
Susan Paterson, from South Yorkshire, wrote: “Due to the enormous amount of fireworks with loud bangs going off around Wombwell and lower Darfield last night, we lost a young terrier with a heart attack.
“Please think of the animals. Molly was only 18 weeks old and died of FRIGHT caused by fireworks. We are still trying to make sense of what happened. Dreading the fireworks again tonight.”
A public post in the PAW – Helping Dogs in Need Facebook group detailed how a 12-year-old cat ‘spent all evening shaking behind the sofa’ before she died. Commenters shared their experiences of companion animals dying from heart attacks as a result of the loud noises and bright lights.
‘It’s time to stop this’
The petition says: “Every year more and more people, animals and wildlife get hurt by fireworks. It’s time something was done to stop this. There are enough organized firework groups around for us to still enjoy fireworks safely, so please help me stop the needless sale of them to the public.
“The noise from fireworks causes a great amount of fear, stress, and anxiety in wild animals. … Errant fireworks can also cause environmental damage through fires, and from the release of poisonous chemicals and particle-laden smoke, which is not just inhaled by wildlife, but contaminates the natural environment.
“In England last year, 4,436 individuals attended A&E because of an injury caused by a firework – more than double the 2,141 in 2009/10. [Around] 40 percent of the UK’s dogs [are scared by fireworks].”