Enes Kanter 'Everything I had learned was wrong' - Media Credit: Instagram

NBA Star Enes Kanter Goes Plant-Based After ‘Heart Shattered’ Learning About Factory Farming

'You know, we always thought eating more meat is going to make us stronger, gonna make us faster, leaner and everything I had learned was wrong'

By

2 Minutes Read

NBA star Enes Kanter has announced he is now on a plant-based diet, and looking to switch to the vegan lifestyle.

The basketball player ditched animal products after his ‘heart shattered’ while learning about factory farming during quarantine.

‘Change Cannot Wait Anymore’

“I started to learn about factory farming. The more I read, and the more I watched, and learned, and educated myself, my heart was just shattering,” Kanter said in an exclusive interview with PETA.

“You know, we always thought eating more meat is going to make us stronger, gonna make us faster, leaner and everything I had learned was wrong.

Enes Kanter PETA
Credit: PETA

“That was the first time I decided we need change and change cannot wait anymore.”

“Some of my friends they’re like ‘are you going to be able to get all of the rebounds?’ Are you able to, you know, go up against all those big guys?’ But I trust myself and I trust the food that I eat.”

Kanter’s Interview

Kanter ditched animal products after learning about factory farming

Kanter continued: “More than anything, I want to inspire the young generation, you know? I feel like we can affect a lot in our communities.

“So just go out there and try to inspire as many people as we can, and educate as many kids as we can so our world, our planet, can be better and healthier.

“As an ahlete, if I can do this, you can do this too.”

Watch the full interview here

*Article Updated* 10th January 2021 – Headline updated to reflect the athlete being plant-based and not considering himself fully vegan as yet.

Millions around the world trust Plant Based News for content about navigating our changing planet & our role in it.

Our independent team of journalists and experts are committed to making an impact through a wide range of content—and you can help by supporting our work today.

heading/author

The Author

Liam Gilliver

Liam is the former Deputy Editor of Plant Based News. He has written for The Independent, Huffington Post, Attitude Magazine, and more. He is also the author of 'We're Worried About Him'.

More by Liam Gilliver iconography/arrow-right

heading/comments

Plant Based News Comment Policy

In short:- If you act with maturity and consideration for other users, you should have no problems. Please read our Comment policy before commenting.

Notify of
guest
13 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Christine
Christine

Good for him!
#govegan
#veganuary

Nemo Nemo
Nemo Nemo
1 year ago

Career ending! Bye to good health.
Consider humanely raised protein.
@sustainabledish.com and so forth had data

Tyler
Tyler
Reply to  Nemo Nemo

1- humanely raised proteins are plant proteins.
2- there is no data to suggest that his health will decline.
Many top professional basketball players are vegan and playing at the top of the NBA.

Do a little bit of research.

alberto verdi
alberto verdi
Reply to  Nemo Nemo

Wrong!…you mean say hello to better health..and it not about “humanely” raise. We are not owners of animals..they are NOT products and certainly NOT food.

Anon
Anon
Reply to  alberto verdi

But, we are owners of animals. This is probably career ending. Hard to sustain a high protein low carb ratio diet for a professional athlete’s training regiment. Gonna eat alot of soy. It being an estrogen like compound; he will probably have some nice bitch tities to play with when his career ends.

Rowland Ross
Rowland Ross
Reply to  alberto verdi

We don’t own the soil, the plants, the trees, the birds, the animals, the fish, they’re all part of the biosphere. The biosphere is a food chain in which everything exists to be eaten, including us.
As for better health, could you please explain, what effect, the presence or absence of a particular food, ( with the exception of allergies or serious intolerance ) without quantifying the quality or quantity or what nutritional role it does or doesn’t play, has in the overall diet of the individual.

Rob Dexter
Rob Dexter
Reply to  Rowland Ross

Nothing exists “to be eaten”. Everything just exists. If they’re eaten, that’s just unfortunate but it’s not their reason for existence!

The consumption of animal products greatly increases the all-cause mortality rate of individuals.

Rowland Ross
Rowland Ross
Reply to  Rob Dexter

Firstly both statements are fact, not a personal view.
If a living organism exists it requires sustenance, if an organism dies or is predated it’s consumed by other organisms, which in turn are consumed or predated by others, thus the biosphere or nature is a food chain, if it wasn’t it wouldn’t exist.
I can’t remember mentioning “ animal products”, I merely stated that the presence or absence of any one food depending on quality and quantity had little effect on the health of an individual. It’s the overall nutrient content of the diet that counts.

bobbob
bobbob
Reply to  Nemo Nemo

I do consider humanely raised protein, that’s why I don’t eat meat. Lewis Hamilton doesn’t seem to be struggling with his vegan diet – has his career ended?

RM
RM
Reply to  Nemo Nemo

Nemo Nemo is an ignoramus and an animal abuser. Eliminating meat and dairy consumption is paramount in achieving optimal body, mind and soul.

Eric Rivkin
Reply to  Nemo Nemo

“humanely” raised protein is an oxymoron. You cannot humanely slaughter a sentient being.

MarkM
MarkM
1 year ago

Is no one going to mention the cabbage suit?

Daisymomo
Daisymomo
1 year ago

Its so heart warming and encouraging reading of such nice news. What a great message! Good luck to you and your amazing career!
#veganforlife #veganforalllife